Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Religion vs. Being a Good Person

In discussions about why a person needs or doesn't need religion, the point is often brought up that, "you don't need religion to be a good person." This is absolutely true.

I don't speak for other faiths, but I was abundantly relieved when I learned the focus of Christianity was not to "become a good person," or even a "better" person. The aim of Christianity is to take dirty rotten sinners like myself and sanctify them in Jesus Christ. Its purpose is not to turn its adherents into Mr. Rogers, or even Mother Teresa. If becoming a nicer person was the goal in receiving Jesus, I would have long ago found a different religion, like Scientology or Republicanism: I know I could never attain such an enlightened state of niceness. It works out tremendously well for me that the only qualification I needed to come to Jesus was to be a broken sinner.

The center of Christianity is the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior; to be refined, re-defined, and sanctified by His truth in an unbelieving, fallen world. We are restored to peace with God and a relationship with Him through Jesus' death and resurrection. This is Christianity. Kindness and charity are certainly among His commandments, but they are not simply a means to an end, that end being "becoming a good person." And, even if one abides in Christ's commandments of love, compassion, and selflessness to the utmost devoutness, another of His commands is to spread His Gospel - which requires proclaiming and demonstrating He is the only way, truth, and life, a statement that grates and appalls many others. To many secular mindsets, this is not "being a good person."

Though one can be an atheist and a charitable and loving human being (atheism and kindness are not mutually exclusive, obviously), these ideas and concepts of compassion come only from God, from a Higher Power: we human beings have proved in our existence that we are incapable of any sustained amount of goodness. And, not being so deluded that I could become a good person without tremendous help, I accept that I need the love and strength of the only blameless Man who ever lived if I hope to approach righteousness.

My hat goes off to those who can muster being good, decent, honorable people by their own inherent, genetic powers of goodness, decency, and honor. But I know I'm not that strong or noble; my weakness in those areas is so egregious that I need something as outrageous as the supernatural to be holy. The Christ - the "religion" - I need in order to achieve this says it thusly: "I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance" (Luke 5:32).

"Do not enter into judgment with Your servant, for in Your sight no one living is righteous." -Psalm 143:2

No comments:

Post a Comment