Saturday, August 15, 2015

Cpt. Bud's Devotionals, 8-16-15: "You're a Wonderful Piece of Work, You Smelly Moron!"

I saw a spider in the bathroom last night, so I went to a hotel. From the dresser drawer of my hotel room, I picked up the Gideons' Bible, open at page one, and noticed it reads, "He rested from all His work which God had created and made." I know what other Christians mean when they say "I'm a work in progress." They're saying, "I still struggle, I still stumble, but Christ's grace overwhelms my sin and gives me strength." (In other words, they describe a Christian.) And while I understand what they mean when they say "I'm a work in progress," I would suggest that we are actually completed works.
The author of Hebrews touches deeper on God resting from "all His work" on the seventh day, which He sanctified, alluding that this not only refers to Creation, but to all of God's work - including a plan for salvation: the sacrifice of His own Son on the cross to atone for all of our sins, including all of our self-righteous works which we mistake for true righteousness, His resurrection from the dead, to resurrect all of us dead in sin to life in Christ, and dare I say He rested from every work He has done for you and me as individuals. The work of helping me overcome my habit of dealing three-card monte at retirement homes, and the work of giving me wonderful things to say to proclaim His name. It's the same for you and every one of the works our Lord has done for you, both great and small.
You're a completed work - you're not there yet, but God is. And He's has already seen you completed. Remember the apostle Paul's words: "He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6).
OHMS,
Cpt. Bud Sturguess

No comments:

Post a Comment