Monday, September 19, 2022

Poem: "A Dream of Lightning, Poorly Dreamed"

In a sterile room colored white

with a dash of pink to calm the nerves

The Conductor of light explained again

what purpose he serves, my pupils

wide as dimes, sweat on the palms of

my hands. The Conductor advised me

to send my mind to other times or,

if need be, to other lands.


He turned a switch that made me ache

His narrowed eyes watching, hoping I didn't

mistake his advice to retreat to unknown skies

as a license for madness so impure,

the very thing his machine was built to cure.


General Nathaniel Lyon, stark raving mad

Hero of the Union and the Bonny Blue flag

was a comrade in my dusty room, born of

books rotted to rags. The wearied ugly men

they described rose from the tomb, contrary

to what was prescribed, smelling of mildewed

air, soothing my heart from despair with a

beautiful gloom.


I accompanied him to Missouri, 1861,

where we drilled the German volunteers

in cannon and gun, the fanatic General's

disdain for the mutineers driving his every

order, his instructions strict for every man,

his every lunatic harebrained plan.


A brambled red beard matched his uniform, 

rumpled, dirty, overworn. Lyon was not

revered, as a dog reveres a storm

and delights in peace when it's done -

he was called insane, “an old son of a gun, 

punished properly at last,” said the officers 

when he was slain, a figure obscured by night and past. 

Not one would mourn his life when he was dead - 

“the army is my wife,” he always said.


General Lyon, soldier, native son and trooper

was just mad enough to retake the state

from the South, and I in my stupor for science's sake

would rouse the troops with the might in my mouth.


Lightning corrupted the sky like

Leviathan in the sea; we feared not,

hearts and caps in hands, the men under

my command in Battery C.

We responded to the lightning in kind

as the Missouri sky turned a hideous hue –

“We are fighting under a man out of his mind!

General Lyon, we who are about to die,

salute you!”


We drove them back, the traitors, the Rebs

with powder and fuse. Washington sent

wires, “attack!” and we fired every steel

and metal shape a cannon can use. 

We thought of our sweethearts at home 

So proud, waiting - my Zuzana, my belle -

as the lightning angrily shone, 

illuminating wrinkles in the clouds 

like a brain lit by fires of hell.


Governor Jackson trembled, but he was

relieved at the sight of McCulloch, Price and Pearce;

a rabble they resembled, as eager as we to fight,

their mad mutiny so wretched, the lightning

above so fierce.


boom


I could not help but gaze at the sky as the

bolts cracked boom the blue; things certain things 

turned to haze as General Lyon fell, bleeding 

brains and Union blue.


I tried to rally my Battery, but no words came;

it was as though the battle had faded, 

as though the lightning struck my brain, 

the Conductor somewhere satiated.


Bolts of Zeus, raining spite, struck boom crack my men,

took them away, turned them to puffs of smoke; 

a spear of white struck General Lyon where he lay,

not a drop of blood left to stain the earth where

his final rally he spoke.


zuzana send help

boom The men were called to retreat - the order was not mine

My legs were like worms bang crack, my boots like concrete

as wore and were taken time faded. pow  

the lightning struck again Zuzana 

to die un repentant benumbs me

I saw my men flee, those not eviscerated 

boom

Not a soldier left in Battery C


Strike again! I dared. 

No. No, I didn't. I couldn't have dared.

boom crack pow

Not such an electric sky, not a fool such as I.

Never surrender. Fight for the bonny blue and for Zuzana.

But who's Zuzana? Nobody. Never surrender


boom rumble

Nobody

quiet


My toes curled in my boots but my

boots were in a corner

I remember putting them there because 

that's where the nurse said.

One mustn't die with his boots off

though I am not dead


I am not dead

Tho' I may as well be

Like my friend the General

The dream is lost for Battery C


pow


Zeus has taken my cannons from me


from the book Amen, Bad Luck To You



1 comment:

  1. You got me to like an ACW based tale which is near impossible. Lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete