Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Unfinished Poem: "Joanna-Not-Afraid"

The search turned up no one alive

as searches often go

They found the victim

Joanna-Not-Afraid

sixteen years old of the North Cheyenne tribe

(or maybe the Crow)

She lived on some reservation

the kind you hear about

in little stories about curious little things

but nothing new –

the government

the Highway of Tears

(though that was a bit further west) 

etc etc.

They buried Joanna-Not-Afraid

in the earth, so she could return to it

as you’re supposed to do

But she did not stay there

She wandered the ethernet ether

the electronic space of chatter

and theory and rage


In the dimension of cables

and talk, talk, talk, talk

Joanna-Not-Afraid encountered a Captain

who had committed felo-de-se

(That was still a crime when he was alive

but not now when he’s dead)

“Where are you going

with that kind of expression on your face?”

asked Joanna-Not-Afraid

“Never mind,” said the Captain

“They put me in the void with you

and you’ll hear all about it soon enough

They won’t bury me in St. Mary’s church

because it’s against the rules”

“I’ve had quite enough of voids,”

thought Joanna-Not-Afraid

“This place and its pixels

is sufficient with tears and trivia”

She took the Captain by the hand

He was shaken by such a tender thing

A shock to his decaying system

“We’re going away from here,”

said Joanna-Not-Afraid

“This fat belly of broadband

is sufficient with tears and trivia

I know somewhere we’ll rise again”

“No! This isn’t right!” protested the Captain

But he followed Joanna-Not-Afraid

He felt helpless and embarrassed


On the way to the place Joanna-Not-Afraid had in mind

she and the Captain encountered a woman

She was drenched in blood

and petting her belly, swollen with a baby inside

“What’s your name?” asked Joanna-Not-Afraid

“I’m Sharon Tate,” the woman replied

as if surprised someone had to ask,

“and this is my baby”

Joanna-Not-Afraid took her hand

even more gently than she had taken the Captain’s

“Come with us. I know somewhere we’ll rise again”

“No! Please don’t!” Mrs. Tate protested

“Murder made me famous!

It’s my lot in life and my lot in death

They told me so when I got here!”

But Mrs. Tate was compelled to accompany them and 

far too exhausted to argue


On the way to the place Joanna-Not-Afraid had in mind

they found a man in a shirt and tie

belying his dazed and weathered face

his thousand yard gaze not matching his polished shoes

“What’s your name?” asked Joanna-Not-Afraid

She had to ask twice to stir the man from his stupor

“I don’t have a name,” the man said groggily

“If I do, I’ve forgotten it. Or someone swiped it.

They only call me the Somerton Man”

“Come with us,” said Joanna-Not-Afraid

“I know somewhere they’ll give you a name”

“Well, what’s your name?” asked the man

as he struggled to stand up straight

“My name is Joanna-Not-Afraid”

“Well, that’s an odd name,” said the nameless man

in something of a Lancashire accent

“Besides, having no name suits me fine

because I’m only dead. Nothing more than that.

Somerton Man is sufficient for me”


Joanna-Not-Afraid paid no heed

and the Somerton Man stumbled along behind her

On the way, she took the hands of all of them

Every form that once thought, heard, saw,

tasted, wept, laughed, and all those things

Every human shape blurred by poor resolution

that once had eyes like moonbeams

or some other such pretty thing

She took all of their hands

Irish bombers, Arab bombers,

American bombers,

a million John and Jane Does,

Jimmy Hoffa, Jeffrey Dahmer,

the Lindbergh Baby,

all of Jack the Ripper’s prey

(both canon and otherwise),

and a soldier called Juan Soldado

whose body has its own chapel in Tijuana


“No one will pray to me in a pauper’s grave,”

protested Juan Soldado

“I beg you to leave me in my chapel

Anywhere else I’ll be Juan Morales again

and if you’re telling the truth

if we rise again

there’ll be no more mystery over me!”

Joanna-Not-Afraid knew the soldier was right

No one would pray to him

if he were to escape the dot on Google maps

But she said to him as she’d said to the others

“This place is sufficient with tears and trivia.

“And besides,” she said, “we’re not going to graves.

We’ve all had enough of graves”

“Where are we going?”

the scores of shadows asked

All of them were tired from walking after so long being still

from being disturbed from their troubled sleep

“We’re going to find a heart to live in,”

said Joanna-Not-Afraid

“A pure heart, one that’s genuine.

A heart that won’t treat us like ghosts”


“But we are ghosts,” slurred the Somerton Man

“It’s our destiny,” said a Jane Doe

“The world knows us as ghosts,”

said the Black Dahlia

“we’ll never be anything more. We’d might as well accept it”


Joanna-Not-Afraid replied, not scathed in the least

by the objections of these haunts and haints

“Only if we stay here can they make us ghosts

If we find a heart, a pure heart

an aching heart

will we rise again.

Haven’t you ever seen someone with an aching heart?”


“Oi! I was someone with an aching heart!”

said the Somerton Man


“Then you know full well that if your heart ached

you must have loved someone,”

said Joanna-Not-Afraid


The Somerton Man hung his head

“I suppose I did”

An Iraqi bystander once blown to pieces 

wiped a tear from his eye


No comments:

Post a Comment