Saturday, December 5, 2015

My Mother's Bible & My Theology

I've begun reading my mother's Bible. Her faith was meek and humble, without the mire of theology versus the theology which counters that theology. I'm paying attention to the short notes she made in the page margins and passages she circled, hoping I can learn from them and be more like her, who strove to be like Jesus.
I long to find it more important to be saved than to be reformed; to obey the commands of Christ than the five points of Calvinism or Arminianism; to know the meaning of love than the meaning of transubstantiation; to feed a belly and a soul than to feed the fires of debate and strife.


OHMS,
Cpt. Bud Sturguess
saved sinner & unprofitable servant

"LORD, my heart is not haughty,
nor my eyes lofty.
Neither do I concern myself with great matters,
nor with things too profound for me.
Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with his mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
O Israel, hope in the LORD
from this time forth and forever."
-Psalm 131

No comments:

Post a Comment