Thursday, March 20, 2014

Wolves in Wolves' Clothing: Last Thoughts on Fred Phelps

In 2011, I watched as many condemned other Americans for celebrating the news that Osama bin Laden had been killed.
Now in 2014, I watch as many of those same people celebrate that Fred Phelps, founder of the notoriously anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas, died last night.

At first I was irritated by those who scolded the people who rejoiced at bin Laden's death, but they were right. I was glad that a terrorist and enemy to the sanctity of human life had been eliminated, but why should I rejoice that someone is now in hell - the only place where God's love is perpetually absent, and no chance to repent is ever found again? That's what makes it hell, after all.

I'd hesitate to make the blatant assumption that Mr. Phelps did not repent on his deathbed; I hope he did, but I can't prove it. If he didn't, I'm sorry to say I believe he'll be sent to everlasting condemnation on the Day of Judgment. I don't think anyone who unrepentantly does things that mislead people about the doctrine of Christ, about God Himself, enters the kingdom of heaven. And Mr. Phelps, and the hypocrites like him, have driven so many away from the Savior by their hatred.

Fred Phelps' death should rightly only bring Christ's disciples sorrow and a churning in our stomachs. Hopefully, we recognize that churning as the Spirit groaning inside us, convicting us to "do good and put to silence the ignorance of foolish men," as the apostle Peter wrote, so that the illusion of the Great Deceiver, the devil himself, might be shattered, even if that illusion is worked through wolves in sheep's clothing - or in the case of Westboro Baptist Church, wolves in wolves' clothing.
"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’" -our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Matthew 7:21-23

No comments:

Post a Comment